problem accessing/starting secure layer (https)

Nicholas Leippe nick at
Tue Jul 12 17:06:22 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 04:56 pm, bibhor dhungel wrote:
> i will look at the "ca-bundle.crt" too but these are the results from
> the various commands. i dont think port 443 is open at all from the
> results of these commands.
> [root at dedicated ~]# netstat -nl | grep ":443"
> tcp        0      0       *
>      LISTEN

The above command is showing that port 443 is indeed open.

> [root at dedicated ~]#netstat -nlp
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address
>      State       PID/Program name

This shows that it's httpd that has it open, so we're good there so far.

> tcp        0      0       *
>      LISTEN      6233/httpd
> tcp        0      0 :::80                       :::*
>      LISTEN      6233/httpd

> Is there a way to open port 443, or for that matter start openssl
> explicitly with some command line. Openssl was installed with some
> rpm-package (it was there when we got the server). thanks

Next, I'd test to see if 443 has ssl turned on:

telnet localhost 443

if/when it connects, type:

GET / HTTP/1.0

(followed by two new lines)

If you get a plain-text response, ssl is not being used on that port.  If you
get an error or gibberish, then ssl is enabled on that port.

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC
1335 West 1650 North, Suite C
Springville, UT  84663 +1 801.853.4090