problem accessing/starting secure layer (https)

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Jul 12 17:06:22 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 04:56 pm, bibhor dhungel wrote:
> i will look at the "ca-bundle.crt" too but these are the results from
> the various commands. i dont think port 443 is open at all from the
> results of these commands.
> [root at dedicated ~]# netstat -nl | grep ":443"
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:443                 0.0.0.0:*
>      LISTEN

The above command is showing that port 443 is indeed open.

> [root at dedicated ~]#netstat -nlp
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address
>      State       PID/Program name

This shows that it's httpd that has it open, so we're good there so far.

> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:443                 0.0.0.0:*
>      LISTEN      6233/httpd
> tcp        0      0 :::80                       :::*
>      LISTEN      6233/httpd

> Is there a way to open port 443, or for that matter start openssl
> explicitly with some command line. Openssl was installed with some
> rpm-package (it was there when we got the server). thanks

Next, I'd test to see if 443 has ssl turned on:

telnet localhost 443

if/when it connects, type:

GET / HTTP/1.0

(followed by two new lines)

If you get a plain-text response, ssl is not being used on that port.  If you
get an error or gibberish, then ssl is enabled on that port.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC