Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Mister E Mister.Ed at AgoraCart.com
Tue Jul 12 14:49:50 MDT 2005

Dan Wilson wrote:

> So, say I believe that murder is ok if I really, really don't like the
> person.  That's my belief... the government shouldn't force other's
> beliefs on my.

This is not a true matter of beliefs.  Nor is it entirely about choices.
  It's about free agency and consequences.  Free agency never exists
without consequences and the knowledge of those consequences.  There are
times that such proceedures such as abortion might be necessary.  I
think most would agree on either side that those presented are still
acceptable despite the scope of the arguments at hand.  The real problem
arises in that people want choices (freedoms) without consequences.
they want to preserve free agency, yet not pay for those choices.
Choice without consequnce destroys free agency.  If a gal goes and gets
knocked up on her own initiative (planned or instant gratification
thingy), does she have the right to escape the consequences of her
actions?  Time tested insight and wisdom usually says no.

So it's tricky at best in todays society that is used to getting their
agendas satisfied.  But I ask, who are we to enforce consequences
outlined from "powers" above us?  Only those forces that set such
consequences as "law" can enforce them (whether you believe in God or
not, you must acknowledge there are some laws inteh universe that ring
true despite man's efforts to change them).  We can and should encourage
better choices (not by force) and that is where I think it should be
left at.

Finally, do we really want a guberment that tells us everything we can
and cannot do based on the poor choices of others that caused knee jerk
reactions to cover all bases/possibilites with new laws?  The Guberment
can't even balance it's own budget, how can any citizen then have faith
that the very same guberment knows best about subjects like child birth,
child development, education, how to ride a bicycle safely or you'll get
a ticket, and many other aspects of free agency they are already
regulating for the masses?  When will people start standing up and
refusing to allow their liberties to be further drowned in legislation
and politics?

Just something to think upon individually...

Mister Ed