So far OT it's not even funny: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Dan Wilson dan at acucore.com
Tue Jul 12 14:49:42 MDT 2005

Ok... guess I'm not done.  I can't resist.

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 16:18 -0400, JStay at mediageneral.com wrote:
> The only reason I would ever be pro-choice is due to this reason - yes,
> murder is wrong and mandated illegal by the government.  However, one
> still needs the capability to kill in able to defend one's own liberties
> and life, for instance in the case of war.  The government in this case
> is usually pro-choice - one always has the right to defend his or her
> own life.  The same goes for abortion.  There are several cases with
> abortion (as stated already) in which one must have the choice to put
> their own life above the baby's.  Last I checked this is also LDS
> policy.  Although I agree from a personal standpoint that abortion is
> wrong and should never be used except in rare cases accepted by my own
> faith and beliefs, it is very hard to mandate by law under what
> circumstances a woman should be able to abort.  Being a father of
> children and husband of a wife both of whom I love dearly, I would
> prefer to leave that choice up to the woman.  If my wife were on the
> verge of dying due to her pregnancy, I want the capability myself to be
> able to pray and consider with my wife what we feel is okay with the
> Lord, rather than relying on the government to tell us how to make that
> choice.

This all makes sense.  But our current abortion laws are not about the
right to choose, it's all about convenience.  I totally agree that there
is occasion for termination, but the laws are wide open right now.

We also have laws allowing for murder in self-defense.  Why can't we
have something similar for abortion... simple clauses that allow it in
special circumstances.

Here's the answer (or at least what I think the answer is):  lack of
responsibility.  We escape responsibility by doing something that we
should have thought about "in the moment."

That was my only qualm with the recent movie "Coach Carter."  Abortion
was something used to make life easier.  As far as I'm concerned, the
taking of a human life (or the conceiving of human life) is not
something to take lightly at all.  But that's how our society sees it.
It's no big deal.

-Dan

Ok... I'm really done this time