Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Tue Jul 12 14:41:58 MDT 2005

Sasha Pachev wrote:

> No, you cannot. The position of the Church is to support all measures
> that restrict abortion except for cases of rape, incest, and when the
> life of the mother is in serious danger. If you fail to align your
> political views with the position of the Church, you cannot honestly
> say you are sustaining your leaders. And if so, you cannot honestly
> get through a temple recommend interview.
>
> Now, you can be a side-line LDS, to borrow a phrase from Elder
> Holland's talk, "sitting on the far edges of the doctrinal campfire",
> and take just about any position on any issue, and still call yourself
> LDS. You might even be able to rationalize your way through a temple
> recommend interview and get one. But you cannot expect the richness of
> the spiritual blessings that are predicated upon the commandment to
> sustain your leaders.

As mentioned early, free-agency is for "Freedom".  Which includes the
freedom to choose.  If I choose to never have an abortion then how am I
going against LDS doctrine?  I also choose not to do drugs, pick up
hookers, and kill hitchhikers.  Because the choice exists does that mean
I am a sinner?  Here is what I don't understand, the church itself says
there are a list of cases where it is acceptable to have an abortion.
But if it is illegal by all means, then how do they have said abortion
if they are in one of those extreme situations?  That's what the choice
is about.  Based on  your religious beliefs you should be able to
*choose* if the abortion is acceptable between you and your God.

Pro-Life and Pro-Choice terms are silly and only cause people to jump to
conclusions and react on extreme sides.  In the end most of us are in
the same ball park.

Eric