*WAY* OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Tue Jul 12 14:21:00 MDT 2005

>it fought civil liberty lawsuits (i.e., Douglas Wallace) before caving in
to civic pressure in 1978

sorry mike, i just couldn't let this one slide - and you should know better.
;-)

the zenith of civic pressure for racial equality was clearly in the 60's
(the 1965 march on the church headquarters is an applicable footnote.)  if
pressure caused the policy change, then they were a decade or so late.  er,
maybe they are just *really* slow? ;-)

and all douglas wallace did was a small-time publicity stunt in 1976 - not
exactly civic pressure.  if the church was going to cave under pressure, it
would've done it in the 60's when there *was* pressure, not after it had all
blown over in the late 70's.

of course, there have been many words printed on this matter, but i just
wanted to point out that there isn't any supporting evidence for the 1978
revelation being caused by civic pressure.  there just isn't.  sorry. :-(

oh, and in case some pluggers aren't familiar on the issues, here is a great
overview, from one of my favorite websites:
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Blacks-and-the-Church-of-Jesus-Chri
st-of-Latter_day-Saints

>Should the Mormon church consider
>an issue to be moral in nature, it will generally attempt to influence
>public policy according to its own moral opinion.

yes, kind of like every other person and institution in the country. ;-)
this has been discussed before on plug - the whole "laws are simply
institutionalized morality, the majority of people decide whats moral, blah
blah" and that's just the way it is.  so if the church thinks that it's
immoral not to have your dog on a leash, there is nothing wrong with them
trying to influence their members to pass a leash law.  right?  no big deal.

oh, and libertarians and statists?  what have you been reading lately..?
;-)

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org