Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Tue Jul 12 13:11:12 MDT 2005

Eric Jensen wrote:

>Josh Hansen wrote:
>

>>Someone who is "pro-choice" doesn't necessarily think it's okay for them
>>to get an abortion personally, only that they don't think the government
>>should outlaw it for those who don't have religious beliefs against it.
>>Perhaps that is what she meant.  Is it wrong, according to LDS
>>doctrine,    to support the legalization of things that are forbidden by
>>LDS doctrine, since not everybody is LDS?
>>

>That's more of how I see it.  "Pro-choice" doesn't mean "guaranteed
>abortion", it means exactly what it says it means, that you would like
>the choice.  Many pro-choice decide to not have an abortion when the
>decision comes around, they just don't want the decisions made for
>them.  So you can be very LDS and be pro-choice.  Your choice will just
>be to not have the abortion.

This is exactly why the debate rages on with no end in sight.  It is
polarized.  Each side is arguing for a stance that doesn't necessarily
conflict with the other.  Pro-Choice doesn't always mean anti-abortion
and pro-life doesn't always mean anti-choice for most people who can
logically reason with each other.

-Dennis