Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Dan Stovall dbstovall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 12:51:41 MDT 2005

> abortion should be limited to rape victims or saving the mothers life
> (and both of these should only be done if the mother has strong
> feelings to do so).  Other than these two scenarios, a woman who has
> an abortion faces a Disciplinary Council and may be excommunicated
> from the Church.  It is a serious, serious, sin.

I actually just taught a lesson on Chastity last Sunday.  There are 3
cases for an abortion according to the church.  This is straight from
the Gospel Principles manual.

1. Rape or incest.
2. Competent medical professionals agree that the mother's life, or
health, is at risk.
3. Competent medical professionals agree that the fetus has such
severe defects that it will not survive outside of the womb.

And of course they ask that you pray and council with the bishop
first.  However, the church doesn't consider it a sin in these cases.
I think that pretty much leaves birth control as a sinful reason for
an abortion in the eyes of the church.

Given that this is the church's stance I guess you would call me a
legal pro-choice supporter.  The thing is, since there are valid
reasons for having an abortion, they need to be available to women.
However, I don't feel that the government should be conducting
background checks, or giving lie detector tests to women that want an
abortion.  So, as I see it, they just have to be available to any
woman in general.  That is just my opinion.  I am not trying to start
a flame war and would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions
and suggestions, though they should probably be off list.

We are so far off topic.  We are through the looking glass here people.