remote reset

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Jul 12 12:48:35 MDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:46:14AM -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> A hardware watchdog would give you the ability to accomplish this.
> However, you probably want something that gives you total control. I
> only have experience with Lights-out cards. There's a couple annoying
> things about them, but they're quite useful.

I second that.  IPMI is great and really inexpensive (included on lots
of servers, adds ~$50 on some) when the machine isn't in place already.

Unfortunately (as with the WTI and others) you'll need access to
another machine close by.  I've never gotten DMI (UDP port 623) to
work over the Internet.

The WTI switches are great, and the APC PDU is good too.  The APC
doesn't require another machine (It's got a web interface), but It
always makes me nervous that I'm going to power off the wrong box.

FWIW,
Barry