Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Mon Jul 11 19:45:08 MDT 2005

>Just head over to http://www.politicalcompass.org and take their test.

michael - thanks for the link and discussion, but it didn't work out for me.
i started to take the test and decided to quit on the 4th page.  imho, this
test is asinine (i mostly just look for excuses to use that word in a
sentence.)  too many of the 'propositions' are too vague and poorly worded
to be useful lead me to believe that the test is more of a toy than anything
else.  however, conceptually, it's fascinating - but i wish i were able to
have more confidence in this particular implementation.  and yes, i read
their faq.

>I have a theory that LDS
>religion and culture actually tends to make one very liberal in
>political views rather than conservative as you'd think, mainly because
>the intense LDS belief in freedom places most mormons more in the
>libertarian area than, say, facism.

this is an interesting idea, but i believe that often times mormons are
confused about the doctrine of agency, and their confusion translates into
misguided political views.

abortion is the classic case.  i've heard many young mormon women say "i'm
pro-choice because i believe in free-agency."  of course, this is silly, as
they might as well say  "i believe in legalizing [child abuse | murder |
crack | prostitution |
anything-else-you-can-think-of-that-you-personally-find-immoral] because i
believe in free-agency."  oh, and i guess i should mention that the term
'free-agency' is sort of redundant and while i'm at it i'll remind everyone
in the mormon audience that 'moisture' is not the same thing as rain.

reminds me of the bumber stickers i'd see in berkeley - one sticker
promoting safe & legal abortion and the other bumber sticker promoting the
abolition of the death penalty, both on the same bumber.  not to open up a
loathsome debate on the two issues, but the irony of a particular common
viewpoint should be self evident.

of course, this whole mormon/political/government discussion gets even more
tricky when you expand the scope of the arena to include various points in
history (eg. 19th century utah), or the future (eg. millenial or
post-millennial government.)  more food for thought.

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org