Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Mon Jul 11 17:28:12 MDT 2005

>Political scientists with a game-theoretical bent have been talking
>about this for a long, long time.

this reminds me of our california governer election - and boy, was this
hashed out pretty good.

this, IMHO, is THE answer: [flash req'd] http://www.chrisgates.net/irv/

lame text version for those non-flash users:
http://www.fairvote.org/irv/a_fairer_way.htm

anyway, it's instant runoff elections.  they make all the sense in the
world, and they prevent the "clinton wins because of bush voters voting for
perot" problem (if you think it was a problem) we had in 1992.

of course, there is a question about the usefulness of pete ashdown even
running for senate in the first place.  if he's really serious, it seems
like he should maybe start out running for city council, then maybe after a
few years run for mayor, then consider national politics.  or if he's not
really serious about politics, maybe he should just take out a full page ad
in the new york times stating his political ideas, and then donate the rest
of his would-be campaign money to aids orphans in africa or something
actually useful.

my $.02 [with my 135-candidate-california-governer-recall-election-baggage]

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org