Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:24:57 MDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Topher Fischer <javert42 at cs.byu.edu> wrote:
> Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> >Republicans, Democrats, what's the difference?
> >
> >I wish there were more choices on the national level.
> >
> Ya, but why would you want to waste your vote on a third-party candidate?

Not what I was saying, but I'll bite re: the "wasted vote" cliché.

Because then I wouldn't have wasted my vote on a non-representative
[insert your currently disliked major political party here].

I've said this before:
I don't feel that any of the political parties out there match my views.

I'm not alone.  Where are the choices in our current 2 party system?
More of the same watered-down, over-promised, compromised, impotent
representatives & candidates.  Scales all the way to the top.

I want to see more parties and more candidates.  I think it would
polarize issue stances.
What differentiates candidate B of party C from candidate C of party B?

The founding fathers of the constitution did not intend this party
system to wield such control over elections.

"Political parties prevent free and open elections. Without free and
open elections, government cannot be of, for and by the people.
Political parties are typically tops-down organizations which permit
control by the few. Those who control the tops of political parties
also control the government by controlling the number and bias of the
candidates from which the people must choose. This control was
accomplished by the Democrats and Republicans through passage of
restrictive ballot access laws to prevent interference in the process
by other political parties and laws requiring primary elections. A
primary election is a pre-selection process that is easily controlled
from the top. Because of these control mechanisms and the resulting
flow of money, politicians have allegiance to their party and monied
special interest groups, not the people that elect them. Now you know
why you are always having to choose between the lesser of two evils.
Now you know why politicians constantly patronize and lie to the
voter. It is all about control of the election process in order to
control the government for the benefit of the few."
(http://www.americafoundingfathersparty.org/)

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us
tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second
will not become the legalized version of the first." --Thomas
Jefferson

I'd never even heard of this political party before this thread - but
I agree with their statements regarding primary elections.  We are
therefore hindered from having representative government.

--
Lars