Slightly OT: Pete Ashdown for Utah Senator in 2006

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:03:09 MDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Lars Rasmussen <lars.rasmussen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Doran Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com> wrote:
> > I have a feeling Orrin Hatch will be seeing some contenders from within his
> > own party this next year as well. Regardless of who you vote for, Hatch has
> > been in office for far too long and has lost sight of what is right for his
> > constituents on a number of important issues like copyright, technology,
> > and business regulation.  It's time for a fresh look at these issues and
> > others from our senatorial representative.
>
> I will not vote for Hatch or Bennett should they choose to run.
> National IDs and advocacy of destroying computers as an enhanced form
> of due process come to mind.  I'll vote for the candidate - not the
> party - that I believe will best represent & advocate the kinds of
> changes I'd like to see.  If that means -gulp- voting for a pro-life
> techno-Dem, I'd consider it.
>
> Smaller Government?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?
>
> Republicans, Democrats, what's the difference?
>
> I wish there were more choices on the national level.
> --
> Lars
> ..
> | This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
> |      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |
> |  IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net   |
> `'

Many political science professors at leading universities such as BYU
will tell you that there is no difference between Republicans and
Democrats - and that this was intended by the framers of the
constitution i.e. a two party system caused the electoral college.
This ensures that in order to get elected you must represent everyone,
not just one demographic, such as labor, whites, catholics, etc.
Certainly, a republican candidate in Utah looks and acts much
differently from a republican candidate from Massachusetts - yet they
represent the same party.  Aside note, most Americans prefer a
balanced government, i.e. if the President is Republican then Congress
is controlled by the Democrats and vice versa.  I believe the State of
Utah would be better served by more balance.  Remember in a democracy
arguement is good.  No arguement often means someone's point of view,
interests or even  rights are being ignored or worse trampled.