[net] user connection to sshd

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Jul 10 13:47:20 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 02:02 -0600, Jason K Larson wrote:
> Anyone can jump on the anti-redhat bandwagon for this, while that isn't
> my goal here, RH8 is especially susceptible for its short lived lifespan
> and complete lack of updates to critical services and the kernel.

As anyone using RH7.3 or RH8 probably knows (or ought to know -- if not
than yes there will be problems), the Fedora Legacy Project is
maintaining security patches of this type of thing.  I believe the have
had several openssh updates for RH8.  I still have a redhat 7.3 box
running updates from legacy that is live on the internet and I haven't
had any problems with it.

I am moving to CentOS for most things now.  If you need a machine that's
more library compatible with RH8, CentOS 2 or CentOS 3 will be
maintained for several more years, as RedHat has committed to support
the RHEL distros (which provide sources for CentOS) for 5 or more years
each.  I think that one could even upgrade from RH8 to CentOS via yum on
the fly without taking it down.

Michael