OT: Innovation and Patents.

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jul 9 18:36:47 MDT 2005

I found it very interesting to read the following article at
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2005/tc2005075_4115_tc119.htm

People who support patents are always quick to point out that patents
promote innovation.  Then I read an article like this and realize that
after the initial idea is patented, the innovation really starts when
the patent expires.  Imagine the applications where iris recognition
could be in use today, had it not been for the patent all this time.
Interesting food for thought.  At least they do expire sometime, unlike
copyrights that seem to last forever.