UT Lisp Users Group?

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Thu Jul 7 17:47:55 MDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 05:31:52PM -0600, Josh Coates wrote:

> abelson and sussman is a great text and all, but i don't see the wisdom in
> starting a user group around lisp.  it's sort of an academic language that
> had is very rarely used in industry and aside from a small crowd of die
> hards, it's really not much more than an fantastic introduction to computer
> science concepts and/or an intellectual toy.  oh, and yes, emacs of course.

I'm not asking anyone to devote their lifetime, or sacrifice their right
pinky fingers for Lisp.

I'm just wanting to start a group where we can discuss, learn and teach
each other about Lisp. If it's an unpopular language in industry, that is not
of much relevance to me. There are plenty other technologies/topics that are
not part of the mass culture of whatever audience one is referring to, and
that doesn't make them unworthy or useless to learn about.

On the other hand, there are plenty of very fashionable
technologies/things that I would rather not spend my time on. I could sit
in front of the TV all day, for example. That's pretty popular, but I'd
rather not do it.

Being an employee is more popular than starting a company, but you chose
to start a company. Is that a bad thing, because it's not as popular?
I don't think so.

If anything, having an "intellectual toy" -- as you put it -- is a worthy
goal, in and of itself. If you don't like my intellectual toy, that's
fine. I respect that.

-Roberto