newby having issues with Grub

Derek Burdick derek at burdick.cc
Thu Jul 7 09:57:42 MDT 2005

Turn off optimizations when compiling GRUB.  I had a similar problem
with GRUB hanging after it showed GRUB and this fixed it.

This page will also help you with GRUB errors.  Your specific issue is
mentioned and the suggested fix is to turn off autodetection of hard
drives in the BIOS.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-122656-highlight-grub+endless+loop.html

Derek