Wireless Masochism

Mitch Anderson mitch at metauser.net
Tue Jul 5 15:56:52 MDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:

>Ah yes, the confusion of terminology rears its head again. There's DDNS
>and there's DDNS. One is dyndns.com and friends, and one is RFC 2136. It
>looks like the proper name for RFC 2136 DDNS is not DDNS at all but
>"Dynamic Update."

Maybe I'm missunderstanding how dyndns.com and friends work, but arn't
they relatively the same thing(with DHCP out of the picture, for obvious
reasons)?  The difference being dyndns.com(and friends) can't fully work
like the RFC because they don't have control over everyones DHCP
server.  You just run a client side application which allows you to
authenticate and update their DNS servers(which may or may not use the
methods described in RFC2136)?