Fun times with RFCs -- was Re: Wireless Masochism

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jul 5 15:56:32 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:48 -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:40 -0600, Mitch Anderson wrote:
> > RFC 2136 explains it fully
>
> This is bad.  We have gone from "RTFM (Read The Fine Manual)" to "RTRFC
> (Read The RFC)".

Having spent many hours reading the RFCs defining the LDAPv3 wire
protocol, and then implementing C code to speak the said protocol, I can
say that RFCs are actually not that hard to read and do contain a wealth
of information.  It would just be nice if everyone followed them, rather
than taking so many short cuts.  I'd cite Microsoft as a prime example
of this, but my project only implemented two thirds of the LDAPv3
standard, just enough to function.  So I can't really talk. :)

> Where do the lazy go?

Hmm.  Just keep posting to the plug list I guess!

Michael