Wireless Masochism

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Jul 5 15:41:30 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:25 -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> However, Hans also said that it tap can be faster than tun.  I have a
> hard time seeing that, since tun would avoid ARP packets and other
> such chatty packets which are commonly found on a subnet.  Why would
> tap be faster than tun?  Are there other factors?

I don't know if by "faster" you mean "more efficient".  This would seem
to indicate otherwise...

http://openvpn.net/howto.html#vpntype
"Overall, routing is probably a better choice for most people, as it is
more efficient and easier to set up (as far as the OpenVPN configuration
itself) than bridging."

Gabe