Wireless Masochism

Mitch Anderson mitch at metauser.net
Tue Jul 5 15:40:25 MDT 2005

Michael L Torrie wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:11 -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the clarification on dynamic DNS (from you and Michael).  In
>>the past, I've always done DDNS on the client side.
>>

>Interesting.  I'm not sure dynamic dns is possible client side.  Dynamic
>DNS was first pushed by microsoft, if I recall, and it involves updates
>to the DNS pushed by the dhcpd server, using information it received in
>the dhcp request from the client.  This is the reason, for example, that
>the Fedora Core installer lets you either supply DHCP with a hostname or
>just take the hostname provided by dhcp (you almost always should enter
>a hostname when DDNS is configured).  Either way the dhcp server pushes
>the info to the DNS server.  Thus I don't think that whatever you are
>doing is really Dynamic DNS.

Dynamic DNS can be done both server side and client side.  Typically a
DHCP server will perform the update on the ptr record since it controls
the IP address.  Deciding who should do the A record update is up to the
admin... and how your going to allow updates on the DNS server.  Either
by key, or address range...  RFC 2136 explains it fully :)