Wireless Masochism

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Tue Jul 5 15:32:40 MDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 03:17:53PM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Interesting.  I'm not sure dynamic dns is possible client side.  Dynamic
> DNS was first pushed by microsoft, if I recall, and it involves updates
> to the DNS pushed by the dhcpd server, using information it received in
> the dhcp request from the client.

Like I said, I didn't realize that it could be done server side.  We're
all learning things! :)

Back in the day (circa 1997), we had a PPP connection, and a dyndns
client would occasionally connect to some DNS server out there on the
internet and tell it what our current IP address was.  It was very
handy.  SCO++'s current cable router/WAP also has support for DDNS.

You can see a list of client programs at
and a list of servers at

Andrew McNabb