Wireless Masochism

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jul 5 15:17:53 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 15:11 -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification on dynamic DNS (from you and Michael).  In
> the past, I've always done DDNS on the client side.

Interesting.  I'm not sure dynamic dns is possible client side.  Dynamic
DNS was first pushed by microsoft, if I recall, and it involves updates
to the DNS pushed by the dhcpd server, using information it received in
the dhcp request from the client.  This is the reason, for example, that
the Fedora Core installer lets you either supply DHCP with a hostname or
just take the hostname provided by dhcp (you almost always should enter
a hostname when DDNS is configured).  Either way the dhcp server pushes
the info to the DNS server.  Thus I don't think that whatever you are
doing is really Dynamic DNS.