Wireless Masochism

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Jul 5 15:01:16 MDT 2005

On Tue,  5 Jul 2005 at 14:53 -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:45:53PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > > You can make a client have a static IP address by giving it a client
> > > configuration directory and using the ifconfig-push directive.
> >
> > Real practical for 100+ clients.
> >

> How is DHCP going to be any more practical with static IPs?  You're
> still specifying the IP address for each individual machine.

Sorry, I'm being terse again. :) If you are specifying the IP address,
then it's on the same big-oh order. (You still have to make a directory
and a file instead of just adding an entry)

But what I was referring to is the way DHCP will prefer to give you the
same address you had before, even if the lease is expired, even if you
haven't connected in a week. Only when the DHCP server is forced to give
out the address to someone else do you lose the address.

One should never count on this, because it is not a guarantee, but it
sure makes things nice.