Wireless Masochism

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jul 5 14:45:09 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 14:23 -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> I'm sorry.  I don't quite understand what you said here.  I don't see
> the connection between dynamic DNS and DHCP.

Well, dynamic DNS is usually set up as an integral part of dhcp.  From
talking to Evan about how you are using openvpn, I think this would
actually be the most logical way of doing ip address allocation over
vpn.  What dhcp would allow is whenever your parents computer connects
to your openvpn connection point, a DNS server would automatically be
updated with an entry associating a name with that ip address.  DHCP
also deals out a DNS server address, so your vpn client would then be
able to look up your parents ip address by name using the DNS shared
across the VPN.