Wireless Masochism

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Tue Jul 5 13:53:32 MDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:09:24PM -0600, Von Fugal wrote:
> Yes, it's a simple route, just default through the peer, the tricky part
> is keeping the route you need _to_ the peer to avoid the tunnel through
> the tunnel to make the tunnel collapse effect. You could write a script
> for the clients to run which adds a specific route through the router to
> the server then changes the default route (don't change the router
> address!) or I don't know how you'd do it the push way, which is what I
> would prefer.

Here we come across the automatic coolness in routing.

Each route has a netmask associated with it.  The more broad the
netmask, the lower the entry in the table.  The more restrictive the
netmask, the higher the entry in the table.

Let's say we have a wireless network which is
which doesn't have a gateway (but the VPN server is  Let's
also say the VPN gives us an IP address of and
gives us a default route of through the gateway  Since the network has a more restrictive netmask,
everything to will always get routed directly over the ethernet
interface.  The correct behavior happens automatically.

OpenVPN is very smart and configurable when it comes to routes.

Andrew McNabb