+RW iso or loopback?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jul 2 18:25:15 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 17:39 -0500, Matthew Frederico wrote:
> Anybody know how I can edit an ISO or Loop image in read-write mode
> without copying it to a dest directory first?  I seem to recall I have
> done it before ... or was I dreaming?

Depends on the file system.  If the image is ISO9660, then it is by
nature read-only.  UDF file systems are r/w.  Of course you can format
an image anyway you want.  I've burned ext3 dvd's before.  In that case,
the image can be mounted r/w before burning.  I've also heard that DVD
+RW's can basically take any r/w file system you want, since they can do
gapless random writes.  -RWs cannot, except with UDF.

Michael