Wireless Masochism

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jul 2 11:30:30 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 11:25 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> I'm afraid that getting WPA working under linux is equally hard with
> linuxant and ndiswrapper.  In both cases, you need an external program,
> called a WPA supplicant.  Not sure if this is the main one or supported
> one, but google turns up http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/
>
> An alternate supplicant is at http://open1x.sourceforge.net/
>
> I know from personal experience it is a beast to get working.  In fact
> the only person I know who has attempted it never got it working.
> (Bought a powerbook... haha).
>
> Finally a good overview of the technology and linux is http://www.linux-
> wireless.org/Wireless/WPA/

And one more thing.  The driver needs to support WPA. This means that if
you are using linuxant or ndiswrapper and the windows driver, the
windows driver (as well as the hardware) has to support WPA.  This was
the biggest problem my friend encountered.  After he found a WPA
compliant driver for windows, things got better but I don't know if he
was ultimately successful.

Michael