Wireless Masochism

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Jul 2 10:42:05 MDT 2005

Every once in a while I have an attack of masochism, the major symptom
of which is that I try yet again to get wireless working with my
Fedora Core 3 laptop.

I have two Linksys WAP54G access points. I use those to communicate
between two rooms, and they do just fine. I also have a Linksys WPC54G
ver.2 card for my laptop. I downloaded a Linuxant driver loader on a
trial basis, and that installed just fine. If I can solve my problem,
I think the $20 for the Linuxant wrapper is cheaper than wrestling
with ndiswrapper (which is a disaster area).

If I turn off security on the two APs, the laptop finds the APs just
fine. If I have security turned on, no go. "Security" in this case
consists a WPA pre-shared key, with WPA algorithm TKIP. I can also use
WEP (boo, hiss), WPA RADIUS and RADIUS. For WPA algorithm, I can also
use AES. I'm willing to play around with these, except that I do not
really want to spend the time to install a Radius server.

Question: how do I get the security to work with the Linuxant driver
loader?