IMAP Books

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Jul 1 12:28:07 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 12:08 -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 11:02 -0600, Corey Edwards wrote:
> > I have that book and can't say I'd really recommend it. It covers
> > Cyrus and UW IMAP servers neither of which I use. The clients it
> > discusses are horribly out of date.
>
> What server do you use?

Courier.

> Why?

UW IMAP has no run time configuration which is just looney, and I didn't
want to use mbox. Instead, I prefer to use maildir which Courier does.

Courier also supports POP3 and IMAP with and without SSL support. The
authdaemon can use all sorts of authentication backends, such as PAM,
LDAP, and MySQL. I chose to use Exim rather than Courier MTA, though. I
do lament that I can't use Sieve filtering scripts, but procmail works
well enough.

Corey