OT: CompUSA Collecting personal information / Is this a trend?

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Mon Jan 31 20:26:44 MST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:15:27PM -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly.  There's a growing trend for companies to
> request this sort of information, and as far as I can tell there's no
> compelling reason for it.  If you're buying an item, they already have
> access to your credit card; it doesn't make sense to get your birthday,
> SSN, driver's license number, favorite pizza topping, or whatever.

Yep.

A couple weeks ago I got a building permit from Provo city, so I can work
on my basement (I didn't know I needed one when I started). I paid $73 for
it.

Last Friday I get a call from some dude in Salt Lake City:

- "Hello Mr. Mello, we'd like to offer you a free quote on your basement
  remodeling"

- Me: "Huh? Who told you I was working on my basement?"

- "Your building permit sir."

- Me: "Oh. No, thanks, I don't need a quote."

Call me naive but I didn't know a building permit for an amateur doing
simple remodeling on his own house was public information. I felt really
violated by the city.

I jump on the 'net and find several companies who scour these building
permit records and sell them to construction companies.

Today I started receiving spam on my mail from several different
companies, from garage door sellers to bath tub installation people.

Anyone know what could I do about this with the city? I don't think this
should be public information.

-Roberto