Best sleek, trimmed down server distribution

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Thu Feb 24 09:10:59 MST 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 09:06 am, Roberto Mello wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:51:49AM -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > compile my own apache and php to suite my needs exactly.  With Gentoo,
> > it's easy to tell the package system that they are in fact installed, so
> > that other dependencies are still correctly met.  This is a feature that
> > I have not seen in other systems.
>
> With Debian you use equivs. It's very simple, but not quite
> straight-forward.

I've guessed that there must be something in other systems, but never bothered
to figure it out.  RPM's --force always seemed to work good enough, and I
haven't used debian enough to need to.

It would've surprised me if a system as comprehensive as apt didn't have a
mechanism for it.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe