Best sleek, trimmed down server distribution

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Thu Feb 24 06:49:37 MST 2005

Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> How is Sarge's support for ReiserFS?  Does Sarge's setup contain more
> network modules then Debian?

Just to clarify:

Sarge *is* Debian. Sarge is a nickname for the "testing" distribution of
Debian. This is explained here:

   http://www.debian.org/releases/

Using *any* Debian install media (netinst, Sarge business card, etc) you
can get to *any* other distribution of Debian, whether testing, stable,
or unstable, with a simple apt-get command. If you want reiser support,
you can likely just apt-get install it.

Personally, I don't like the Toy Story nicknames, because they are
confusing over time. When I started with Debian, Potato was stable,
Woody was testing, and Sarge was unstable. Now, Potato is non-existent,
Woody is stable, Sarge is testing, and Sid is unstable. It changes every
couple years. I would rather prefer that people refer to the
distributions by stable/testing/unstable instead. Just a nitpick. :)

--Dave