Best sleek, trimmed down server distribution

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Feb 23 22:43:20 MST 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 10:05 pm, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Which distribution would you say would be the best for a LAMP server.
> The machine is an OLD AMD K6-2 500MHz, 128MB RAM system.  I want a
> lightning fast simple, trimmed down, non gui loaded Linux distribution.
>   Any suggestions?  I have heard that Gentoo, Debian, or Slackware are
> the most sleek distributions, is this so?
>
> Requirements:
> SSH login
> Will run Apache, PHP, MySQl
> Will run Samba
> Text based system config tool, similar to Suse's Yast (drives me crazy
> that Mandrake and RedHat don't seem to have something like this).

I've been using FreeBSD for this sort of thing for years, and it would do
great on the hardware you describe.  System config is done via
well-documented text files. :)

There's a 274MB 'miniinst' ISO image you can download, or just get the
bootonly ISO or three boot floppies and do a 'net install (which has worked
flawlessly ever since I first tried it with a 28.8Kbps model).

JN