Best sleek, trimmed down server distribution

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at
Wed Feb 23 22:05:39 MST 2005

Which distribution would you say would be the best for a LAMP server.
The machine is an OLD AMD K6-2 500MHz, 128MB RAM system.  I want a
lightning fast simple, trimmed down, non gui loaded Linux distribution.
  Any suggestions?  I have heard that Gentoo, Debian, or Slackware are
the most sleek distributions, is this so?

SSH login
Will run Apache, PHP, MySQl
Will run Samba
Text based system config tool, similar to Suse's Yast (drives me crazy
that Mandrake and RedHat don't seem to have something like this).

kenneth at