Novell & Open Source

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Tue Feb 22 17:32:50 MST 2005

In Suse 9.2 when going to normal install mode it searches for an install
disk.  If no disk is found then a quick message pops up saying it is
switching to manual mode.  Not to say it wont detect some NICs, but I've
always had to specify mine.

I just spent the last 5 and a half hours babysitting a Suse install and
I didn't even make it to the partitioning portion of the install.  For
some reason it would crank for 30+  minutes after every single dialog
box.  This is installing from a USB drive as well as HTTP.    My NIC/HD
lights are always active so it is doing something, just not very well
apparantly.  I've ran through the install process about 5 times today.
Did a quick Slackware install from CD-ROM in less then an hour.  Having
a hard time convincing myself that Suse's install procedure isn't a
smoldering cauldron of liquid garbage right now.  Sounds like they have
an impressive distro, sure wish they would let me install it.  I'll
probably have to bring in my own DVD-ROM drive tomorrow and give the DVD
ISO a try that way.  Also bringing in Ubuntu and FC3 as back-up.  The
hardware detection and dual monitor lovin' that Suse claims to have is
the only thing keeping my interest right now.  Ability to install is a
pretty neat feature as well though, so we'll see.

Eric Jensen