Novell & Open Source

Jason Jones j at poeticintensity.com
Tue Feb 22 15:04:27 MST 2005

>>The normal mode (install from CD/DVD) would have picked up your NIC card
>>fine.  The FTP/HTTP/NFS installs are all considered manual mode
>>installation, and the manual mode install leaves it all up to you to
>>figure out.
>>

>Wonderful. So there are two sets of code in there, one for "normal"
>mode, and the other for "manual" mode. That's rather inelegant.
>
>They also have a different definition of "normal" than I do: I do all
>my installations across the network. It's faster, especially if you
>take into account time spent burning CD-ROMs.
>
>Thanks for the explanation.

I have to disagree.  I've installed SUSE, NLD, and SLES all various
times (because my employment sometimes requires me to) and each time I
install, I choose HTTP or FTP, and my NIC is automatically set up.  I'm
not sure how you had your settings, but setting it up by pressing F-3
and choosing a medium other than CD or DVD does *not* mean "go to manual
mode".

Just FYI.

--Jason