Problems with Spamassassin - bad list check?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Tue Feb 22 12:22:27 MST 2005

I am having problems with Spamassassin finding domains on SURBL lists.
When I check the Spamassassin report it lists the domain as being listed
in some of the black lists.  I went and
checked the domains at http://www.rulesemporium.com/cgi-bin/uribl.cgi
which says they aren't in the list.

So why is Spamassassin confused?  If the domain is not on the SURBL
list, why is Spamassassin marking them as such?  I have attached two
examples of improperly spam-marked email.

Even weirder is Spamassassin seems to only mark random emails from the
same domain as being in the SURBL list.  Most of the time the emails
come through clean as in example 3.

I have also attached a copy of my /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

---begin example 1---
	*  2.0 URIBL_AB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: uvlug.org]
	*  0.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: uvlug.org]
	*  3.9 URIBL_SC_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: uvlug.org]
	* -2.6 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
---end---

---begin example 2---
	*  2.0 URIBL_AB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: byu.edu]
	*  0.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: byu.edu]
	*  3.9 URIBL_SC_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: byu.edu]
---end---

---begin example 3---
	autolearn=ham version=3.0.0
---end---

---begin local.cf---
# Should we tag the subject of spam messages?
rewrite_header Subject *****SPAM*****

# How high a score is considered spam?
required_score          3.0

# How should spam reports be inserted into the message?
report_safe             0

whitelist_from          *@kennethburgener.com

# Spam report will be included in the X-Spam-Report header, even if the
message is not tagged as spam.
always_add_report       1
---end---

Thanks