nitix

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Feb 22 12:11:29 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 11:25 -0700, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Anybody heard of nitix?
>
> www.nitix.com
>
> Is this that much better than any other distribution of Linux?

Looks like it's not a distro of linux per se but a company that sells
dedicated linux-based servers, like print servers, NAS servers,
firewalls, etc.  In essense network appliances.  My guess is that that
plug into your network, autoconfigure and present a web interface that
you can use to configure it just like a switch.  Just connect it to you
ldap, etc, and you have instant file serving or whatever.  They may or
may not run their own distro.  That is really immaterial.  This is
probably the future of network appliances and modular server solutions
for small businesses.  It really doesn't matter to the user what OS it
is running because the user doesn't deal directly with it in this
application exccept for "firmware upgrades."   This is how my cisco
wireless solutions engine appliance works.  It's really a linux-based
dell 1U (oem box).  We just interface with its web frontend.  Very nice.

Michael