Novell & Open Source

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Feb 22 06:32:53 MST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:15:05PM -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Charles Curley wrote:
> >I tried burning the installation CD-ROM, and then the NFS
> >installation.
> >
> >I was utterly croggled that the boot code did not pick up my
> >NIC. Fedora Core and Red Hat have never failed to pick it up. At least
> >SuSE had a manual mode, but you actually have to know what kind of NIC
> >you have. :-)
>
> The normal mode (install from CD/DVD) would have picked up your NIC card
> fine.  The FTP/HTTP/NFS installs are all considered manual mode
> installation, and the manual mode install leaves it all up to you to
> figure out.

Wonderful. So there are two sets of code in there, one for "normal"
mode, and the other for "manual" mode. That's rather inelegant.

They also have a different definition of "normal" than I do: I do all
my installations across the network. It's faster, especially if you
take into account time spent burning CD-ROMs.

Thanks for the explanation.