Novell & Open Source

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Feb 21 21:02:08 MST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:20:43PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:41:40PM -0700, Eric Jensen wrote:
> > You can get ISO of the eval version there, but not the full.  Only
> > option for that is the FTP install, which from what I remember wasn't
> > the smoothest process I've experienced with Linux.  Especially if you
> > have a NIC that isn't all that supported and takes a bit of work to get
> > up and running.  I even tried running a local FTP with the same
> > directory structure with no luck.  Getting full non-eval ISOs for Suse
> > is not easy, I remember having to search all over for a torrent file.
> > From what I gather, this has been a huge negative for moving over to
> > Suse for a lot of people.  Doing a several gig install over your
> > internet connection doesn't sit well with a lot of people.  Installs can
> > take long enough as it is, especially if you are the type who like to do
> > the easy full install.
>
> I thought about that. :-) I'm not wild about loosing my connection or
> some such half way throught the installation. That's one reason I
> prefer NFS installation: I've actually had to reboot my NFS server half
> way through an installation of FC3. The installation picked right up
> and went on without a hiccup.
>
> I'm going to try hauling in the DVD iso and opening it as a loopback
> device, and mounting that under my ftp tree. Then I'll see if the FTP
> installation ISO can use my local server.

I tried burning the installation CD-ROM, and then the NFS
installation.

I was utterly croggled that the boot code did not pick up my
NIC. Fedora Core and Red Hat have never failed to pick it up. At least
SuSE had a manual mode, but you actually have to know what kind of NIC
you have. :-)

I got the NFS installation to the point of mounting the NFS mount
(which I know only because I can read the logs on the NFS
server). However, the installation softare reports that it cannot find
the image. Telling me the name of the file(s) it wants, however, would
be too much.

I'll try the FTP installation later.