Data recovery for Linux disks

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Fri Feb 18 11:40:05 MST 2005

Not long ago, Nicholas Leippe proclaimed...
> The million dollar question is: How much is this data worth to you?
>
> (and do you have backups? ;)

Here's the bigger story, just for background. A server colocated at
XMission was compromised (brute-force ssh root account breakin) and set up
as a Paypal phishing site. The owner of the box called me and asked me to
"fix things." He told me he had 10-12 websites and mail server on the box.
I backed up the website data and the /etc directory and reinstalled Linux
on the box. What I found out later was that he had a MySQL database running
on the box and I had mkfs'd over the top of that data.

Did he have backups? No. He had RAID5 and figured that was good enough. He
wants me to bear the complete cost of recovery since it was clearly my
oversight that resulted in the data loss. While I admit some oversight on
my part, I would think if your livlihood depends on a MySQL database, you'd
be making at least weekly backups.

Thanks for the suggestions.

 "A baby is on a car."
    -- Warning sign affixed to car window in Japan