linux cisco vpn client

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Feb 18 10:45:48 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 12:19 -0500, Spencer Gibb wrote:
> I am trying to use the linux vpn client to connect to work and enable
> local lan access, but no matter what I do it says local lan access
> disabled, any ideas?

The problem is that Cisco screws around with the linux networking stack
and routing in a nonstandard way.  So I recommend that you skip the
cisco client.  It sucks on linux.  Use the open source client from
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/

With this client, you'll have to set up all the routes yourself
with /sbin/route, which in my opininon is a way better way to do it.
I've written some nice little scripts to start up the vpn and do the
routing if you're interested.

Michael