2.6.10 bootup fsck error

Greg Felix gregfelix at airwired.net
Thu Feb 17 23:30:51 MST 2005

Hi PLUG, I've got a strange problem I need some help in debugging.

I've been running Fedora Core 3 since it came out and keeping it up to
date with apt.  Recently a new kernel package was made available, 2.6.10
something, so I upgraded to it.  Unfortunately now when I boot up it
halts the boot during the e2fsck saying that my / partition is mounted
and it can't continue. My / partition is in /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00.

There is no filesystem corruption.  It boots just fine with 2.6.9-
anything.
I've also modified my /etc/rc.sysinit where it calls fsck and basically
changed the output to make it appear that it worked.  When I do this the
system boots fine.  I don't really like running a system where there is
no fs check every time I boot, however. (Especially since I'm currently
stuck with some IBM deskstar/deathstar HDDs)

So I'm pretty confused, and can't find anything about it on google.

Any thoughts or further questions?  Thanks.

Greg Felix