3D video drivers

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:55:18 MST 2005

On Thursday 17 February 2005 04:15 pm, Levi Sorenson wrote:
> Does anyone have opinions about the future of video drivers for Linux?

With regard to what?

I have high hopes that Sony's cell will become ubiquitous.
That would change everything.

As for the nearer future, I like the heavy competition between ATI and Nvidia,
I think it is really healthy.  I both like and dislike Nvidia's binary
drivers.  They support their cards fairly well, but no one else can support
it.  As for ATI, their own driver for the most part doesn't compare to the
DRI effort, even w/o some of the proprietary enhancement features enabled--at
least for the cards they can support. My aged Radeon R100 keeps getting
faster and faster, especially with recent reverse-engineering discoveries,
and just about all of its features are supported well.

FWIW, I will place my dollars into Nvidia's hands next time I buy a video
card.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe