3D video drivers

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:36:36 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 16:31 -0700, Corey Edwards wrote:
> For my money I'm sticking with Nvidia, binary driver or not. After
> seeing what happened to 3dfx and open source DRI I'm convinced that
> right now graphics drivers don't fit into the OSS model. I can't give
> you a reason why, but I can give you plenty of examples. Nvidia has done
> a great job of maintaining their driver. Works great for me.

Nvidia does a decent job, but not nearly as good as they could.  No PPC
drivers, for example.  Also nvidia drivers have never been competely
stable on any machine I've ever used them on.  X freezes pretty
frequently for me, almost always when a GL program is running.  Once I
kill X, it recovers, but the text console gets messed up.  It sure is
better than it used to be, though!

Michael