3 different problems of a Linux newbie.

david jensen b9dwj at lycos.com
Thu Feb 17 14:42:22 MST 2005

Hello PLUGers:  Request help w/ 3 problems:
    How best to request help.? List each problem separately in different postings or list all at once.? I chose to list all at once due to my percieved need to show background data about the boxez & software. Replys can be on a single item basis of course.

PROB 1. "keyboard seqences=screwy results"
"characters" typed from key board[s] work fine, but control sequences in VI & other apps. are screwy. I follow VI instructions in Linux RE: books, but don't get correct results. Unable to edit files to make attempt at correcting things. Tried another keyboard, same result. Both keyboards work OK w/ M$-98-B which is also on same boxen; dual boot but separate HDs. Debian Slink 1.2 came on CD-ROM from "VA-Linux", {gift from a Wash. DC area LUG while I was working in that area, 1996-2001).  Original keyboard brand was also DELL. Current keyboard is an "Ultra" brand clone "designed for Windows" according to the label.

PROB 2. "Suspect 'install' is messed up"
Selected "all" programs for install, however, noticed HUNDREDS of files that were marked "unselected" as installer loaded Linux to HD. I can not find lots of commands that I understand are desired and part of any normal Linux system. Just a few programs missing are the editors: "joe" & "PICO", "less", "X", etc., etc. Get "file or command not found"  error, which is plain enough.
    I used a boot floppy, which I made according to the Debian install guide.  This is 3rd attempt to install Linux from this CD.  1.  Could the CD be corrupted?  2. I printed out the install guide from the CD I have read it over a few times and do not find answers to my problems.   Used "Partition Magic" from a CD-ROM [included w/ book "Upgrading And Repairing PC's: Linux Edition" from CompUSA in Orem]. Made 14 partitions for Linux on hdb. Do you want the list of partitions and files that are supposed to have been mounted on them.?
    P.S. Is there a way to "pause" the install program while it is running so I can have time to read some of the messages that stream by, then tell it to resume when I am ready?

PROB 3. More of a situation than a problem: Request comments of getting an outboard HD.
Narrow window of opportunity for me while in SLC greater area. I expect to move back down to St. Geo. area sometime in late FEB. away from Circuit City & CompUSA, etc. Desire to find a solution for an external HD using USB connections on which to install Linux to be able to move it to different boxen. Something between 30-100+ Gigs. Then, when I can afford a used laptop, I can hopefully just plug in my external Linux HD and away I go. Also is this even a good idea.?  Hoping to find something under $75.00, [limited funds due to rertired & no current employment]. Anybody got an old HD they want to part w/ for a few bucks?

Dual boot machines:
1.  A hodgepodge of a number of upgrades, but no written history; a gift: 200 MMX desktop; 64 Meg RAM; 2 HDs: 2.1GB w/ M$-98-(?), & 12.?GB saving for Linux; USB port, not tested.

My main box: having trouble as noted above.
2.  DELL OptiPlex GXi; 5200 MTbr // model: MMP; IC class "B"; ICES-3; FCC class B;
53 Trio  640 & PCI; mfd 1997-09-05;  mid sized tower.

2002-07-??  DELL P-200 MMX tower: initial hardware configurations:
96MB RAM (128mb max) (do not know if it is parity or ECC. still need to check this out.)
Mother board slots: 5  PCI (2 open) & 4 ISA (3 open) on a removable sub chassis.

Ctrl-Alt-Esc. = enter BIOS Set-up (configuration) Menu. SCREWY.! unreliable and erratic.
[Actually this is a 4th problem, since I can not always get to my BIOS settings.]

Phoenix ROM BIOS + version 1:10 A04
QTY ITEM // SPEED       DESCRIPTION & BRAND & ETC.  (( back of unit connections ))
Keyboard; mouse; serial, parallel, USB & Ethernet ports & asso. electronics on motherboard.
 1  COM-1: ser.port     RS-232D, 9 pin male connector. ( currently
                        not used.)
 1  COM-2: ser.port     internal, 56kb modem: Practical Periferals 33600,
                        ISA slot;
                        (2ea., RJ-11 jacks; 2ea. mini phone plugs;
 1  parallel port       RS-232D, 25 pin female,
                        connected to a HP LaserJet 4 L.
 1  3.5" / 1.44 MB      floppy drive: (( brand ?? ))
 1  2.1 GB hard dr.     Maxtor: 82100D3 // M$ Win 98-B. "c:\"
                        (yeech & barf.!. but needed.)
 1  4.2 GB hard dr.     ?? (( Linux: test & play ))
 1  CR-ROM              ?? x ?? NEC ??
 1  ethernet  card      3COM: 3c90S-TX  [as of 2005-01-29,
                        connected to DSL hub, works fine.
 1  audio card          Crystal Audio:
 1  USB                 not connected to anything, never tested.
 1  video card          unknown at this time,
                        S3 Trio V+ Enhanced Video BIOS 1.03-02.

Please forgive me if I have put to much in this post for requesting help.
I felt I would try this group first, since I had attended a few of your (our) meetings and met some of you fellows. However, recognizing that most of the traffic on this site is pretty heavy stuff and my needs and level of involvement / understanding is very basic, I would be glad to try someother group if you folks think that would wiser.? What sayest thou?

Thanks for any and all help provided.

LONG  LIVE  LINUX   and  Open Source
Sincerely, David W. Jensen    73    w 0 r m v
"A lie is any communication given to another with the intent to deceive."
Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles ( LDS ).
END