new list: windows admins anonymous

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Wed Feb 16 16:35:56 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 12:41 -0700, Jayce^ wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 February 2005 12:29 pm, Steve Dibb wrote:
> > Okay, Hans and I set up utwaa.org (Utah Windows Admins Anonymous)
>
> I love it!

At least the name is a bit derogatory.

I wasn't kidding when I said I think it would fly.  There are a lot of
people that find themselves in that boat.  "I support Windows because I
have to."

I propose that the list has cool messages like the following:

**********************
welcome_msg
I'm sorry to hear that find yourself working with Windows on a daily
basis.  Hopefully we can give you some help and comfort as we
commiserate together.

msg_footer
This message proudly served up by GNU/LINUX.

goodbye_msg
Congratulations!  As you move on, may you remember those you leave
behind in your prayers.  The suffering continues for many.  The "Blue
Screen of Death" is often a slow and painful death and we are glad that
you have escaped its grasp.
**********************

That might not be that great.  I'm sure there are writers more talented
and expressive then myself on this list.  You figure it out.

You know, maybe the list can both mock Windows and help out Win-admins.
It can be a place where people are free to ask Windows questions while
acknowledging they hate it and without people pointing out they should
"just use *nix or *bsd"  A place where answers are not as easy as "just
apt-get xxxx package and edit /etc/xxxx.config and BOOM, you're done."
A place where we can assume you have already tried rebooting and
reinstalling.  A place where a lot of question just go unanswered.

Now I can see why a list like this must exist.  Sometime Linux users can
be so hard to work with. :)

Half kidding,
Gabe