Novell & Open Source

Sean Kirkby skirkby at concentrico.net
Wed Feb 16 12:25:06 MST 2005

I recently (within the last month) installed SuSE Desktop 9.1 on two new
workstations.  It couldn't have gone smoother.  (The workstations are HP
Compaq d530's).

I simply downloaded the boot CD ISO, burned it to a CD, booted it, and
pointed the install to an HTTP (not FTP) repository.  The repository I
used for both installs was http://ops.tamu.edu/suse/i386/9.1.

To get the boot CD ISO, download
http://ops.tamu.edu/suse/i386/9.1/boot/boot.iso (about 23MB).  You can
also try to get floppy images and create install floppies, but I didn't
have good luck doing that.  The install kept hanging at some point.  But
the boot CD worked magically.

For one machine, I booted, answered a few questions, then had lunch.
Came back to a nice, shiny new SuSE desktop.  For the other, I booted,
answered a few questions, then went home.  Came back the next morning to
a nice, shiny new SuSE desktop.

At the time, 9.2 was barely out, and I couldn't get it to install.  I
suspect the repositories are caught up now, but I'm not sure.

Oh, I should mention that I installed on one machine at home over a
cable modem connection, and one at work over a 1.5MB+ DSL connection.
In each case, the entire install was completed in less than an hour.

HTH.

--sk.

========================
Sean Kirkby
Concentrico, Inc.
P: (801) 221-7606 x204
W: www.Concentrico.net
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Easy Anti-Virus / Anti-Spam
Flexible E-mail Archiving
Expert Custom Software
World-Class Service
========================

>>> eric at emstraffic.com 2/16/2005 11:45:19 AM >>>

Been lots of talk here about moving our Windows workstations to Linux
since all we really use is a web browser, e-mail, OpenOffece, etc.
After this discussion I think we want to give Suse a go, especially
because of that mutli-head comment.  Must have our dual monitor lovin'.

I am looking for suggestions for installation, I have really bad
memories with the FTP install.  Think part of that was because the
mirrors were not actually complete like they claimed to be, but not
sure.  I'm a big fan of ISOs, but not sure the boss' will go for
purchacing them.  Not because they wouldn't want to support
Novell/Suse,
but they just get it into their heads that Linux is free.  So if
anybody
could point me to a torrent to download an ISO or just a more stable
method of installation that would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Jensen
| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
|      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |
|  IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net   |