makefile problem

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Wed Feb 16 08:11:46 MST 2005

nikhil d purwant wrote:

> hi people
>
>      so i got a good answer to my question about makefile the other day thanks the concerned people. now can anybody please explain me following lines from the makefile i have i know it has to do something with
> the ipmlicit rules but i'm not being able to figure out exactly what it is (the CFLAGS LINE)
>
> appending the part of the makefile

> INCLUDEDIR =some path
>
> #CFLAGS = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE  -DDEBUG_MESSAGE -DDEBUG_CRUDE -O -I$(INCLUDEDIR)
> CFLAGS = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE  -O -I$(INCLUDEDIR)

Hopefully I understand your question.  The question is what does the
CFLAGS do?

The CFLAGS is just a variable that holds anything.  I could have been
named THEFLAGS.

If you are asking what each of the parameters are:

 From what I remember the "-D" option says to specify a macro.  If I
remember right the "-D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE" specifies to create in-kernel
object files (modules).  The "-O" says to optimize.  The
"-I$(INCLUDEDIR)" just specifies the path to the include files.

Hopefully that helped.

Kenneth
kenneth at uvlug.org