Novell & Open Source

Mitch Anderson mitcha at xmission.com
Tue Feb 15 22:16:43 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 21:43 -0700, Stephen Shaw wrote:
>  From what I understand suse is more compliant with the LSB than most
> distros

most being?  RedHat? Mandrake? far as I know, those are the only other
disto's that are even trying to be compliant with the standard.  Yet
SuSE is the only one (out of all the distro's I can think of, again as
far as I know) that puts gnome and kde in /opt.  I don't recall the LSB
asking for Gnome and KDE to be put in /opt specifically, so with *every*
(again as far as I know) other distro putting them under /usr, I would
say SuSE is the least *standard*...

The FHS(LSB requires the FHS) can be read here:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

mitch